What inspires you? Nature, works of art, God, faith, life, the universe, theology, philosophy, poets, music, love, family? The list in unlimited, as each unique individual is inspired by different things, different religions, faith, ideas. When the Inspiration Reading Project was born several years ago, all our 52 Book a week readers started brainstorming and came up with the idea to to create not only a faith based reading challenge, but expand it to include theology, philosophy, psychology, and more. To dive deeper into their faith, to learn about the history of their religion, to delve into the life and minds of those who chose the monastic life. To sip the thoughts of deep thinkers and free thinkers. To learn and theorize, find illumination. Experience revelations, an awakening.
According to Dictionary.com, inspiration is defined as
- an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration.
- something inspired, as an idea.
- a result of inspired activity.
- a thing or person that inspires.
- Theology: a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul. The divine quality of the writings or words of a person so influenced.
- the drawing of air into the lungs; inhalation.
- the act of inspiring; quality or state of being inspired.
Choose from one or more books from the following suggestions or follow your own rabbit trail
- Read a book about Faith
- Read an oldie Classic Christian Non Fiction
- Read a book about Monastic Life (Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain is one of my favorites)
- Read one or more Books of the Bible
- Read a Spiritual Autobiography
- Read about Great Thinkers of the Past
- Read a book about Free Thought
- Read a book about Theology for Beginners
- Read a book about the historical origins of great religious traditions
- Read a book that That Every World Scholar Should Read
- Read a spiritual classic for Life’s Philosophical Dilemmas
- Read one of the books business executives recommend as the most inspiring books everyone should read.